Crossing Iceland on Kjalvegur Route, you go through rather bleak landscape. On this hike you get to explore Iceland's interior between the two glaciers Langsjökull in the West, and Hofsjökull in the east. This is a relatively plane, easy trail with its very own charm. Through open stretches of land and glacier-shaped plains, you come past stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Day 1: From Hveravellir to Þjófadalir
12 kilometres; 4 to 5 hours
- Day 2: From Þjófadalir to Þverbrekknamúli
13 kilometres; 4 to 5 hours
- Day 3: From Þverbrekknamúli to Hvítanes
14 kilometres; 4 to 5 hours
- You're traveling a distance of 27 miles on this moderate trail. This makes it a relatively long hike. The average length of all hikes in the Regions of Iceland is 38 miles.
- Sturdy hiking boots are recommended on this track.