The popular trail from Mt Snæfell over the glacier snout Eyjabakkajokull into the Lónsöræfi area can be hiked in different variations, taking between three and seven days. The challenging trail leads you through the beautiful landscape of Vatnajökull National Park, and offers views over the highlands - just the right thing for everyone who loves the rough nature of Iceland.
- Day 1: Tour onto Mt Snæfell
- Day 2: From Mt Snæfell to Geldingafell
32 kilometres; 10 hours
- Day 3: From Geldingafell to Kollumúlavatn (Egilssel hut)
15 kilometres; 7 to 9 hours
- Day 4: From Kollumúlavatn to Múlaskáli in Lónsöræfi
8 kilometres; 3 to 4 hours
- Day 5 and 6: From Múlaskáli to Illikambur or straight from Múlaskáli via Vidiladur Valley into Geithellndalur Valley (Stafafell farm)
- With an overall length of 44 miles the hike is among the 3 longest hikes on Iceland available on TouriSpo.
- You're facing an uphill climb of 2010 vertical meters on this hike. This is quite much. You should be fit to do this track. This makes the Hike the one with the largest ascent on Iceland. The highest point of the track is 3284 ft above sea level.
- Make sure to bring sturdy footwear on this track. Hiking boots are highly recommended.