The Stubenbergsee was opened in 1971 measuring a water surface of 40ha (100 acres), making it the largest swimming lake in Austria. The lake itself is not very deep. This in combination with the sunny location makes the lake one of the warmest in the country. The swimming season is usually opened during Whitsun and lasts until the mid of September each year. During this period the water has a fantastic swimming temperature around 25°C (77°F). Basically, the lake is open all year round. The circular path around the lake, which is lighted until 10pm throughout the year, is 3km (1.9 mi) long and is used for jogging, walking, and skating. Directly at the lake, there are three restaurants, numerous kiosks and several beach bars providing the guests with regional specialities. Also, there is a camp site at the lake. The town of Stubenberg, the garden palace, and the little zoo are situated only 1km (0.6 mi) away from the lake. Admission fee (within the season): € 5.00 per person. If you stay overnight, the entrance fee is mostly included in your costs for the accommodation as well additional excursions. The lake is open from 7am till 7pm daily.
Lawn for sunbathing
Sandy Beach Area
Things to do
The lake offers open-air lawns for sunbathing and relaxation complemented by playgrounds, 2 sports and leisure centres, a water slide, beach volleyball courts, a skate park, adventure parks for children, and tennis courts. There are also some recently built leisure facilities such as rocks to jump from (facilitated with spring board platforms each 1m (1.10 yd) and 3m (3.3 yd) high) and the beach with all its rocks to climb on, the little lighthouse, the bridges and the pirates' ship, which is an adventure water park for children.
At the lake, the electronically operated ship with a capacity of 60 seats can be booked from mid-May to mid-October for round trips. A single ticket costs € 3.00 per person. During the season the boat offers free round trips around 3/4pm.
Pedal Boat Rental
- With an area of 99 acres, Stubenbergsee is among the 15 largest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- Stubenbergsee is the the best rated swimming lake / beach in Austria.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 73 °F. The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 78 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- There’s no need to be starving! A kiosk and a restaurant cater for all tastes and needs.
- There’s good news for families with kids, as there is a water slide and a kids’ playground as well.
- There is a campground close to the Swimming Lake.
- There are numerous parking facilities nearby. Restrooms where you may also get changed are available at the Swimming Lake.
How to get there
Coming from Vienna or Graz, take the A2 until Hartberg and from there continue for further 25km (15.5 mi) on the B54.