In the area of Tristach, the Tristacher See lies 821 m (897 yards) above sea level, the only natural lake on the foothills of the Lienzer Dolomiten. In 1985, the lake was bought by the municipality of Lienz, the public bathing facility was torn off and rebuilt again. The Tristacher See is a natural lake with several natural water intakes. Annually, several examinations guarantee the excellent water quality. The Tristacher See is not only used for swimming purposes, but also as a fishing preserve containing pikes, carps, pikeperches, rudds, and tenches. Provided the ice thickness allows it, the lake also serves as a ground for ice skating in the winter season. Located directly in the vicinity of the lake, you'll find the hotel „Parkhotel Tristacher See“ and a private restaurant including a camp site.
From the beginning of July until the end of August a bus service operates several times a day between Lienz and the Tristacher See/ Seewiese.
Things to do
- diving platfom
- usage of rubber dinghies
- circular hiking route (ca. 1.5 km/ 0.9 miles) to 'AltenSee'
- beach volleyball court
- Swimming Lake Tristacher See is among the 10 best rated Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 69 °F. The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 72 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- There’s no need to be starving! A kiosk and a restaurant cater for all tastes and needs.
- Families will love the nearby playground, ensuring some quality time for the parents and activity time for their kids.
- There is a campground close to the Swimming Lake.
- There are numerous parking facilities nearby. Restrooms where you may also get changed are available at the Swimming Lake.
How to get there
Lienz - Tristach - Tristacher See/Seewiese (ca. 6 km – 3.7 miles)
Lienz - Amlach - Parkhotel Tristacher See (ca. 4 km – 2.5 miles)