If you cannot decide where to spend your next holidays, whether at a lake or in the mountains, the Weissensee will then certainly be the right place for you! Combine recreational holidays with hours of action at one of the purest swimming lakes of the Alps with hiking tours in the surrounding mountains.
The lake itself is located in the southwest of Carinthia (Kärnten). It attracts visitors with an average water temperature of 24°C (75.2° F) and its remarkable quality of drinking water.
Almost 2/3 of the lakeside offer unspoilt landscape, which guarantees pure nature and a unique idyllic atmosphere.
Things to do
Discover the lake below and above the water surface. There are numerous leisure facilities: With a view up to 20 metres (21.9 yards), the Weissensee belongs to the most beautiful diving places in the Alps. But there's a lot being offered above sea level, too.
During a canyon and rafting tour the fascinating environment of the Weissensee can be discovered. Apart from swimming and splashing you have the opportunity to attend starter classes in surfing, water skiing and wake boarding. An extra portion of adrenalin can be experienced through acapulco jumping with professional assistance by a trained guide. You can sportively enjoy yourself with kayak starter courses and Canadian canoe tours, too.
- With an area of 1606 acres, Lake Weissensee is among the 3 largest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- Lake Weissensee is among the 10 best rated Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 68 °F (currently: 67 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 73 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- Taking your dog to the Lake Weissensee is permitted.
- Lifeguard supervision at Lake Weissensee is provided.
- Grab something nice to eat and a cold drink at the local kiosk or restaurant.
- Kids of all age groups will love the nearby playground and water slide, begging their parents to stay overnight.
- Planning an overnight stay? Close to the Swimming Lake there is a campground. You are in the campfire mood? Campfires are permitted at several spots around the Swimming Lake.
- There are parking spaces available in the vicinity. There are public restrooms close by at the Swimming Lake.
Video about Lake Weissensee
How to get there
By public transport:
The Weissensee ist comfortably and eco-friendly reachable by public transport. There are several options to choose from to travel here: You can use the Naturparkbus (bus service), the Deutsche Bahn (German railway service) and/or the Österreichische Bundesbahn (Austrian railway service). This way you can easily even take dogs and bicycles with you.
You can of course travel to the Weissensee by car, too. Take the Tauernautobahn A10 (motorway) at the intersection Spittal in the direction of Lienz. From Greifenburg on follow the signs leading to Weissensee.