In Arbesbach, the bear is all over! Here, the Beeren-Bären-Runde (the berries-bears-round) is a family friendly and an easily accessible path. The mere walking time is about two and a half hours long. However, the way is not the goal per se, but rather the Bärenwald (forest) itself. At the turning point of the circular path, one can enjoy oneself having a meal at the Bärenwirt before one returns to Arbesbach. The tour starts in the centre of Arbesbach. The first leg of the tour will lead through a placid forest, where one will be given the chance to pick different kinds of berries. Soon, the forest Bärenwald will be reached, where seven brown bears enjoy a quiet and peaceful life. As part of our guided tours, the preserve can be accessed. Not only children will be happy to experience the thrilling moment of watching a bear in its natural wildlife habitat. During the tour, one will learn about the project and the history of the bears, which will leave one flabbergasted. The bears now living here were once rescued from deficient private hands by the "Vier Pfoten“ organisation and are now fortunately allowed to lead a species-appropriate life. Hearing the story of the bears, one can only be stunned by it and shake one's head. One just cannot believe how bad human beings can treat animals sometimes. The bears, however, need no longer be bemoaned because they are living 'behind bars'. They have all the space they need. A reintroduction of the bears to their natural habitat is unfortunately not possible any more, either way. After a visit in the preserve a little break at the pub Kolm, the so-called Bärenwirt, is highly recommended. On the way back, one will pass a former glassworks before getting back to the viewpoint Buchegg, where a beautiful view on the picturesque Arbesbach awaits the hiker. Across the cemetery one will get back to the starting point.
- You're traveling a distance of 5 miles on this easy trail. The hike is therefore not too long. Average length of all hikes in Lower Austria is 9 miles.
- Beeren – Bären – Weg is among the 3 best rated Hikes in Lower Austria.
- Elevated between 2785 ft and 3123 ft, the hike is among the 3 highest elevated hikes in Lower Austria. You're facing an uphill climb of 200 vertical meters on this hike. The track is therefore relatively flat.
- Don’t hesitate to take your kids along on this easy hikes. The hike is also perfect if the kid’s wanna bring their dog on the trip.
- Make sure to bring sturdy footwear on this track. Hiking boots are highly recommended. If you get hungry along the way, there are places to rest and get food. Nevertheless it’s recommended to also have enough water and food in your backpack when hiking or biking.
One can take either the A22 or the S5 or respectively the S33 to Krems and then the B37 to Zwettl. Change to the B124 in the direction of Rapottenstein. When there, carry on in the direction of Arbesbach.