Leaving Flachau, the trail takes us over the autobahn, from which point we follow
the "Wünsche Weg" until we reach the Wechslmaisweg. Crossing this, the hiking
path leads us on a moderately steep walk to the "Neuer Sattelweg" turn-off and
continues uphill through the forest. The last segment takes us via the access road
to the Sattelbauer.
From there, a beautiful footpath leads us up through the forest to the Lackenalm,
joining a supply road just about 800 meters prior to the Lackenalm. After this we
follow the flat trail a short distance further, until we reach a pond where a footpath
branches off uphill to the left, this then becoming a high trail. Once we get to the
trail fork where hikers can turn off to the Lackenkogel, we’ll have climbed around
1,050 vertical meters and deserve a well-earned break. If we then continue along
the high trail in a southerly direction, we can enjoy the mountain panoramas to the east and west.
Passing the Höchkessel doline (sinkhole), we now have another short climb to an
alpine saddle, between Arche and Tagweideck, from which we descend into the
extended doline of the Seekarkessel. From the Gamskogelhütte, we can ride down
on the Gamskogel I six-seater chair lift to Zauchensee, or continue along the Almenweg
down the access road to the Oberzauchenseealm.
Where to eat
- Berggasthof Sattelbauer: mid May to mid Oct., Tel. +43 (0)6457 2568
- Gottfriedhütte (Lackenalm): June to Sept., Tel. +43 (0)664 48945 76
- Hinterkuchelberghütte: mid May to mid Oct. , Tel. +43 (0)664 1284045
- Garnhofhütte: June to Sept., Tel. +43 (0)6452 4024
- Felserhütte: June to Sept., Tel. +43 (0)6452 4040
- Gamskogelhütte: June to Sept., Tel. +43 (0)6452 4000-29
- With an overall length of 11 miles the hike is among the 10 longest hikes in Salzburg available on TouriSpo.
- You're facing an uphill climb of 1486 vertical meters on this hike. This makes the hike one of the 5 hikes with the most ascent in Salzburg. The highest point of the track is 6522 ft above sea level.
- You can easily take your dog on this trail. (See all dog friendly hikes in Salzburg.)
- Make sure to bring sturdy footwear on this track. Hiking boots are highly recommended. If you get hungry along the way, there are places to rest and get food. Nevertheless it’s recommended to also have enough water and food in your backpack when hiking or biking.
Highlights of the tour
The highlight of this tour is the panorama to the valleys of the Ennstal and the Dachstein massif. Nearly at the end of the tour you find the mountain lake "Seekarsee" which is near the hut Gamskogelhütte. Here you can enjoy the panoramic view of the lake.
Not to be scoffed at the snack with bread and a variation of cheese at the Lackenalmen.
- after the mountain pastures "Lackenalmen" you can make a small detour to the peak Lackenkogel before you go on to Zauchensee
- Shortly before the climb leading up to the Rosskopf, a trail branches off to the left by the chair-lift station; if we follow this path, a short downhill walk will soon put us right there in the hiking paradise that is Zauchensee.
- From the Gamskogelhütte you can make a small detour to the Gamskogel (2186 m) - way Nr. 85
You should definitely wear trekking or mountain boots and wear walking sticks.
Because of the lenght of the tour you should have enough to drink and eat with you.
From Flachau to Altenmarkt and from there in direction to Zauchensee. In Zauchensee going up with the lift "Gamskogelbahn".
by public transport
With the "Sportwelt-Bus" you get to the bus station "Altenmarkt-Zauchensee"