- With an area of 132458 acres, Lake Constance is the largest swimming lake / beach in Germany.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 65 °F (currently: 63 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 73 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Germany.
- Taking your dog to the Lake Constance is permitted.
- The local lifeguard service Wasserwacht supervises and promotes safety and order at Lake Constance.
- You are hungry and thirsty? A restaurant and a kiosk provide you with meals and drinks.
- This destination has got you covered providing a kids’ playground and a water slide.
- In case you are into camping, there is a campground almost within reach.
- The nearby parking lot offers enough space for your car. Restrooms for both women and men are available at the Swimming Lake.
Three countries - one lake. Situated in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, Lake Constance is not just Germany's largest lake. With approximately 536 square kilometres surface area, it is also one of the biggest lakes of all of Europe. It is divided into smaller Untersee (Lower Lake Constance) at the northwest, and large Obersee (Upper Lake Constance). Obersee's northern bit is also known as Überlinger See (Lake Überlingen).
There are numerous possibilities to swim along the 270 kilometre lakeside. A variety of small natural beaches up to large bathing beaches with heated swimming pools provides suitable places for everyone. Most areas are equipped with kiosks, playgrounds, and beach volley courts.
Natural beaches with lawns for sunbathing can be found in Kressbronn, or for free in Unteruhldingen. Lake Constance's largest bathing beach, "Hörnle" near Constance, is free of charge as well. Iznang near Moos, with its shallow shore, is particularly popular with families. Bathing beaches with additional swimming pools and waterslides can be found at SEE BAD Romanshorn, in Langenargen and Nonnehorn, at Aquamarin Wasserburg, and at Aquastaad Immenstaad. If you want to take your four-legged friend for a swim, Hörlepark Constance, Überlingen garden, or nature beach Eichwaldstraße in Lindau are examples for dog beaches.
Things to do
At Lake Constance, swimming is not your only option. There is also a large variety of water sports, such as sailing and surfing, water ski and wakeboarding, canooing, or going on a cruise on the lake.
The area has a lot to offer on shore as well. To discover the region, go round the lake along Lake Constance bikeway, or hike mountains like Pfänder near Bregenz and Säntis near St Gall.
The beautiful landscape and Alpine panorama, however, are not the only thing to make Lake Constance a popular travel destination. Numerous attractions, such as the Monastic Island of Reichenau and Lake dwelling museum Unteruhldingen, both UNESCO World Heritage, as well as flower island Mainau are worth a visit. Affenberg Salem, Sea Life in Constance, or Ravensburger Spieleland make for an exciting trip for the whole family.
Videos about Lake Constance
How to get there
From Stuttgart you enter A81 in direction of Singen (Hohentwiel). From there you get to B33 towards Constance. B31 goes along the German shore to Überlingen, Meersburg, Friedrichshafen, and Lindau. Coming from Munich, follow A96 to Lindau. Parking is available at the bathing beaches.