- With an area of 74 acres, Catchment Lake Oberilzmill, Passau is among the 5 largest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Bavaria.
- Catchment Lake Oberilzmill, Passau is among the 5 best rated Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Germany.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 63 °F (currently: 53 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 66 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Germany.
- You can easily take your dog to this swimming lake. (See all dog friendly swimming Lakes / Beaches in Bavaria.)
- There is a local lifeguard service at Catchment Lake Oberilzmill, Passau.
- There’s no need to be starving! A kiosk and a restaurant cater for all tastes and needs.
- There are numerous parking facilities nearby. Restrooms where you may also get changed are available at the Swimming Lake.
The reservoir by Oberilzmühle (also known as Haslach-Speicher) is situated just by the river Ilz, located north of Passau, and is part of the community of Salzweg. The large meadows and open air spaces are perfect for sunbathing sessions. Be careful, though, as there are almost no trees. If it gets too hot, you have no natural protection. Parasols are recommended! Sitting on the little jetty, you may want to hold your feet into the water and enjoy the refreshing cool wet or use the ladder to enter and go for a swim. You may also run and jump into the water. Via a 400 m (440 yd) long forest path by the eastern lakeside you get to the nudist section.
- The lake is between 40 and 200 m wide (44 and 219 yd)
- The hydro power station was built between 1951 and 1955 by the Stadtwerke Passau (SWP)
- Since 1955 the hydro power station has been taken into service, creating the reservoir artificially
- Each year, the power station produces 13 million kW/h (3 million volt) and provides energy for up to 4000 households
- The lake is a starting point for many hiking tours along the river Ilz
- The maximum lake depth is 14 m (15 yd)
- The lake has a capacity of approximately 4.5 million m³ (5.9 million cubic yd)
Food & Drinks
You find the Stausee-Stüberl just by the reservoir Oberilzmühle. They have a nice beer garden and serve solid Bavarian meals. While sitting here and enjoying your meal, you have a fantastic view on the Ilz. Further down the river you find the pub Zur Triftsperre. To get there you just need to follow the river on the side of the lawn for about 2.5 km (1.55 mi). It's really worth going on a hike here. Use it as a little break from swimming.
Starting Point for Hikes
Use the car park by the reservoir as a starting point for hikes. There is a wonderful tour down to the river loop of the Inn offering a majestic view on the Ilz valley. Just by the lake you find thehiking path leading to Passau Triftsperre, passing the reservoir at the Oberilzmühle. Additionally, the path to Kalteneck/ Fischhaus can be recommended which is a part of the Goldsteig and Pandurensteig. This trail is quite time-consuming. The natural surroundings of the Ilz valley and the hiking tours are definitely suitable for the entire family as there are no excessive heights to overcome.
Things to do
At the rowing club, boat tours on the river can be organised heading to the Ilz reservoir where you spend your time swimming and sunbathing. The large open air lawn is the perfect spot for enjoying yourself playing volleyball, badminton and frisbee. There's a firm jetty by the lakeside, which you can use to jump from or have an easy access to the reservoir and swim to the free jetty in the centre of the lake. In the vicinity, you can borrow boats or you just grab a rubber dinghy, get in in Fischhaus or Kalteneck and paddle all the way to the Ilz reservoir. The day can be rounded off by a refreshing swim in the lake.
Video about Catchment Lake Oberilzmill, Passau
How to get there
The way to the lake is well signposted. Coming from the direction of Regensburg you take motorway A3 towards Linz, exit to Passau-Nord and follow the road. After the Ilz river breakthrough, you turn left in the direction of Waldkirchen/ Freyung. You are already on the B12. After the so-called Reischl turns, which are quite like serpentines, you'll spot a sign leading to “Oberilzmühle/ Stausee” after 2 km (1.25 mi). You follow the road for about 3 km (1.9 mi) before you reach the car park of the reservoir. From here you just need to cross the reservoir dam to get to the sunbathing lawns.
At the barrage you find many car parks. The little path from the car park to the lawn is just a 100 m (110 yd) walking distance away.