Tour through the Beautiful Erz Mountains
Your hike starts not right at the centre of Eibenstock, but further north at Clausens Mühle mill. From here, start the tour on Alte Schneeberger Straße, until you get to the edge of the forest and to river Steinbach. On your way through the forest, follow the path along the stream, while continuously ascending the mountain. Over Mordgrund, continue towards Hintere Pläneleite, still following the river, which becomes Toellescher Graben in this section. Afterwards, you reach the first highlight of this hike, Blauenthal waterfall.
Stage Destination at Blauenthal
After taking a short break here, you leave the forest and get to Blauenthal. Here, follow Zimmersacherstraße for a bit, and then keep right, to get onto Zinnsteig trail. Trek past the ponds to your left, moving between bits of forest. After a short while, you cross Eibenstocker trail, after which you walk back into the forest. Keep left, to get to the destination in Sosa.
Where to eat
- Blauenthal waterfall, the highest waterfall in Saxony
- Natural highlights along the ponds and rivers
- The town of Eibenstock with many historic buildings
- You're traveling a distance of 4 miles on this easy trail. The hike is therefore not too long. The average length of all hikes in Saxony is 27 miles.
- Wildes Erzgebirge Trail is among the 3 best rated Hikes in Saxony.
- Make sure to bring sturdy footwear on this track. Hiking boots are highly recommended. There are places to buy beverages and food along the track. However it’s always recommended to bring enough water and food along with you.
Sturdy shoes are recommended.
From Zwickau, follow B93 until you change onto Kobaltstraße (B169) in Schneeberg. Follow the road until you turn left onto Eibenstocker Straße which brings you to Eibenstock via B283.
From Chemnitz, you follow B72 to exit 12 towards Hartenstein. Keep left, following the road until you can turn right onto Lösnitzer Straße (B169), through which you reach B283, which goes straight to Eibenstock.
From Czech Republic, stay on Eibenstocker Straße, and then keep right. S272 and S276 take you to Eibenstock.
From Aue, Schönheide or Johanngeorgenstadt, you can get buses to Eibenstock, where you get off at Platz des Friedens. From Zwickau, trains via Aue and Johanngeorgenstadt take you to the starting point of the hike.