Lake Lauerzersee lies between the Rigi and Mythen massifs in the municipalities of Lauerz Schwyz and Steinen. The lake, which is 3 kilometres long and a maximum of 1 kilometre wide, lies at an altitude of 447 metres. With a maximum depth of 14 metres, it is one of the shallowest lakes in Switzerland.
There are two islands in the middle of the lake. On the largest of the two - the island of Schwanau - there are ruins of a castle and the chapel of St. Johann. A ferry takes you to the island in a five-minute crossing. The Roggenburg Island, on the other hand, is uninhabited and densely overgrown.
On hot summer days it is worth taking a jump into the cool waters of Lake Lauerzersee, and the seaside resort of Seewen on the western shore of the lake is ideal for a family outing. With its large sunbathing lawn, which also has many shady trees, it offers space for up to 2500 people. The bath is open between June and August from 8 am to 8 pm, in May and September from 9 am to 7 pm.
In the covered self-service restaurant Seebad Seewen you can enjoy the delicious fitness plate and various grilled specialities. A special highlight are the magical sunsets over the Lauerzersee. These can be enjoyed from July to August with a delicious cocktail at the Badi Bar, which is also open in the evening. On the island of Schanau you can also enjoy culinary delights in the restaurant.
Things to do
Thanks to a beach volleyball field, table tennis tables and a children's playground, you will never be bored in the seaside resort of Seewen, even on land.
A five-armed bathing island, a raft and a diving tower guarantee action-packed bathing fun in the water. The facility also includes a rowing boat, surf bike, pedalo and deckchair rental.
Lake Lauerz is also a popular destination for anglers. Here you can catch whitefish, pike, perch, zander and also carp.
- With an area of 741 acres, Lake Lauerz is among the 3 largest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Switzerland.
- Lake Lauerz is among the 3 best rated Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Switzerland.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 71 °F (currently: 70 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 74 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Switzerland.
- You are hungry and thirsty? A restaurant and a kiosk provide you with meals and drinks.
- Your kids are bored of bathing fun? The close-by playground will give them some variety and the chance to make new friends.
- Campfires are permitted with seasonal restrictions and in provided fire pits.
- The nearby parking lot offers enough space for your car. Restrooms for both women and men are available at the Swimming Lake.
How to get there
The seaside resort of Seewen can be reached via the A2 and A4 motorways. The spa is located directly at the motorway exit Seewen-Schwyz. There are about 225 parking spaces directly at the lake.
By public transport:
Take the train to Schwyz station. From there it is only a short walk under the railway station underpass and towards the lake.