At Sea Life Hannover, you embark on an exciting journey from the cool North Sea waters through the Amazon rainforest to the coral reefs of the tropical ocean. You can find this marine aquarium in the capital city of Lower Saxony, Hannover, very close to the Herrenhausen Gardens and the Adventure Zoo.
In a total of 40 different aquariums, you can admire about 2.500 animals from more than 160 species. During the tour, you will pass through various themed areas, each adapted to the different habitats of marine life. Among the inhabitants, you'll find a colorful variety of animals, including the Cuban crocodile, chameleons, octopuses, vibrant anemones, crabs, seahorses, nurse and blacktip reef sharks, and impressive sea turtles.
The "Expedition Jungle - Exploring with a Ranger" themed world is absolutely worth seeing. It takes you on an exciting journey, starting from the Turtle Temple through the Insect Touch Station to the Amazon. You'll be accompanied by a ranger who informs you about the biodiversity in rainforests and educates you about the importance of ecosystems.
The centerpiece of Sea Life Hannover is the 300,000-liter ocean tank. In the walk-through glass tunnel, you can observe sharks, colorful fish, and other fascinating marine inhabitants from all sides.
Thanks to its exciting offerings and playful explanations, Sea Life Hannover is also perfect for children. Young marine researchers, for example, have the opportunity to pet rays and sea urchins in touch pools or learn more about the animals' eating habits during daily feedings. Workshops and suitable teaching materials are offered for school classes and interested parties.
Additionally, the aquarium hosts children's birthdays, including treasure hunts. The kids embark on an exciting journey through the underwater world of the aquarium, searching for a hidden treasure among the marine and rainforest creatures. During the treasure hunt, the young adventurers must solve various puzzles, search for clues, and tackle tricky tasks to get closer to the treasure.
Species Conservation and Sustainability
Sea Life Hannover actively engages in marine conservation efforts. Local conservation projects are supported in collaboration with NABU Lower Saxony and Leine Lachs e.V. Moreover, the aquarium operates a coral nursery to contribute to the preservation of endangered coral reefs.
- The day pass at Sea Life Hannover is €18 making it one of the 10 cheapest tourist Attractions in Lower Saxony.
How to get there
- If you're coming from the north, take the "Hannover-Herrenhausen" exit from the A2 and follow the signs towards Zoo/Sea Life.
- From the south, on the A7, take the "Hannover-Anderten" exit and then drive onto the B65 towards the city center, following the signs towards Zoo/Sea Life.
- Sea Life Hannover has paid parking spaces right in front of the aquarium.
By Public Transport:
- From Hannover Central Station, you can take the tram towards "Garbsen" and get off at the "Zoo" stop. From there, it's just a short walk to Sea Life Hannover.
- Alternatively, you can take the bus and get off at the "Ernst-August-Platz" stop, from where the aquarium is also easily accessible on foot.