- You're traveling a distance of 4 miles on this moderate trail. The hike is therefore not too long. Average length of all hikes in Bavaria is 27 miles.
- Ettenberg via Almbachklamm is among the 10 best rated Hikes in Germany.
- You're facing an uphill climb of 376 vertical meters on this hike. The high point of the hike is located at an elevation of 2733 ft.
- This moderate hike is perfect for the whole family.
- Sturdy hiking boots are recommended on this track.
Through Almbach Gorge
The starting point of this hike is the local ball mill. It is the oldest of its kind in Germany, and one of the highlights right at the beginning of the tour. You start by walking along a broad and well-fixed stone path, which leads you over Almbach gorge. The gorge is another highlight of the hike, as it is a natural phenomenon with its giant waterfalls and rapids. You can hear the roaring and thundering of the water masses from afar.
Good Views Along the Tour
When you have left the gorge itself, a bigger valley opens up to you. You hike through it, reaching the pilgrimage church Mariä Heimsuchung, dating back to the year of 1724. Coseby, you can stop for a bite to eat at Mesnerwirt, where you get a hearty meal along with a panoramic view from the deck. From here, go back the way you came.
Highlights of the tour
The absolute highlight is right at the beginning of the tour: Altbach gorge. Furthermore, the pilgrimage church Maria Ettenberg is worth a visit. The baroque frescoes are not to miss out on.
A very popular variation is to walk via Maria Gern. Keep left at Theresienklause, where you get to the inn Dürrlehen. You can end the tour here, or walk back to the starting point through Almbach gorge.
You should wear sturdy shoes, as it can be slippery.
Follow the road B 305 towards Marktschellenberg until you reach the junction to Almbachklamm.