Lake Eibsee is located 9 km (5.6 miles) away from Garmisch-Partenkirchen, right at the foot of Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain, at 1,000 m (3,281 ft) above sea level. It is popular among locals and tourists alike. This crystal clear mountain lake lies amidst the breath-taking Alpine mountain-scape, and has a reputation of being one of the most beautiful lakes in the Alps. Seven islands are nestled along the north bank of the lake.
During the summer, water temperature is around 21°C, so you can enjoy your splash into the water right under the Zugspitze massif. Numerous quaint bays and idyllic bathing spots provide access to the lake. After your swim, enjoy the sun and relax. Later, Eibsee Pavillon treats you to delicious food with a stunning mountain panorama.
Things to do
Motorboat cruises are available at the quaint lake. If you want to enjoy some peace and quiet, rent a pedal boat or row boat, and go by yourself. Eibsee is also well-suited for sailing. In good wind conditions you can also go wind surfing.
Not far from the lakeside you can find Berggasthof Eibsee-Alm, easily accessible on foot. It features a nice play ground for children. Fans or Nordic Walking or simple strolls can walk the 7.5 kilometre (4.7 miles) route around lake Eibsee. The hilly terrain might quicken your pulse at times, but the beautiful lakeview makes up for the effort.
Wetterstein is a great region to explore on numerous hiking trails. Easy strolls as well as challenging mountain tours wind through the beautiful scenery, for instance to Partnach Gorge or Geisterklamm, or to Schachen castle. Grainau has an adventure trail, and the bastle ruins of Werdenfels is also a great family destination. Furthermore, the area around lake Eibsee is one of the best mountain bike areas in the German Alps. You can look forward to diverse trails and breathtaking views.
- With an area of 445 acres, Eibsee is among the 10 largest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Germany.
- Eibsee is the the best rated swimming lake / beach in Germany.
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 65 °F (currently: 66 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during July with an average water temperature of 69 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Germany.
- The swimming lake permits to bring a dog along. (See all dog friendly swimming Lakes / Beaches in Bavaria.)
- Lifeguard supervision at Eibsee is provided.
- Grab something nice to eat and a cold drink at the local kiosk or restaurant.
- The nearby playground caters to kids of all age groups, ensuring unbridled fun.
- There are parking spaces available in the vicinity. There are public restrooms close by at the Swimming Lake.
Videos about Swimming Lake Eibsee
How to get there
Take the A95 in the direction of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, then continue towards the Fernpass until you reach the exit Grainua/ Eibsee. Car parks are provided.
By public transport:
Take the train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and then continue using the Zugspitzbahn towards the Eibsee.