On a sea level of over 800 m (874 yards) in the town of St. Ulrich one finds Pillersee (Lake Piller), which was naturally created, thanks to a valley fall, by the inflows of numerous streams from the Kitzbüheler Alps and the Loferer stone mountains more than 15,000 years ago. The Haselbach (Hasel stream), on the other hand, functions as a drain of the the Pillersee (Lake Piller). The origin of the name is probably derived from the German idiom “pillern“, which means as much as 'to boom', a phenomenon of the lake itself that particularly occurs in spring or during storms. At Pillersee (Lake Piller), an ideal temperature for swimming will not be reached, unfortunately. During hot summer days the water temperature, which will hardly exceed 20° C, will be sufficient for refreshing oneself, though.
The bathing beach is located in the northeast of the lake, not far from the pilgrimage church St. Adolari.
Car parks are sufficiently provided. The beach volleyball court is directly located at the bathing beach and next to it you'll find a kiosk, which might come handy for occasionally supplying oneself with a quick drink or snack.
Things to do
- The swimming lake / beach's average water temperature during the summer season is 62 °F (currently: 63 °F). The swimming lake / beach is normally warmest during August with an average water temperature of 65 °F. See the currently warmest Swimming Lakes / Beaches in Austria.
- Taking your dog to the Mountain Lake Pillersee is permitted.
- There’s no need to be starving! A kiosk and a restaurant cater for all tastes and needs.
- Families will love the nearby playground, ensuring some quality time for the parents and activity time for their kids.
- There are numerous parking facilities nearby. Restrooms where you may also get changed are available at the Swimming Lake.