The E5 long-distance trail across the Alps leads from Oberstdorf to Meran. This one is the first of six stages from the Oberstdorf train station in Bavaria to the Kemptner Hut, which is located at an altitude of over 1,800 meters. The second stage leads from the Kemptner Hut to the Memminger Hut.
- Elevated between 770 m and 1,823 m, the hike is among the 5 highest elevated hikes in Germany. You're facing an uphill climb of 1645 vertical meters on this hike. This makes the hike one of the 15 hikes with the most ascent in Germany.
- You're traveling a distance of 19 km on this moderate trail. The average length of all hikes in Bavaria is 46 km.
- Sturdy hiking boots are recommended on this track. There are places to buy beverages and food along the track. However it’s always recommended to bring enough water and food along with you.
Sturdy shoes necessary
Overnight stay available
Eating options available
Where to eat
- many restaurants at Oberstdorf
- few smaller taverns at Spielmannsau
- Kemtpner Hut