- The day pass at Monastery Wiblingen is €5 making it one of the 10 cheapest tourist Attractions in Baden-Württemberg.
Origin and architecture
Five kilometres from the centre of Ulm lies the former Benedictine monastery of Wiblingen. The monastery, built between 1714 and 1781, replaced the 11th century complex. The monastery church forms the centre, it is a combination of late baroque and early classicist elements, the impressive ceiling paintings come from Januarius Zick. The library hall belongs to southern Germany's most famous rococo buildings and was completed in 1744. Columns, sculptures, stucco work, the light architecture and the ceiling paintings by Franz Martin Kühn form a harmonious picture.
The Museum im Konventbau was established in 2006. Using modern media, an insight into the world of Baroque monastic life is presented here. The focus here is on the consideration of the secular rule of the abbey.
The monastery is open during the winter months (November - February) only on weekends. The basilica is accessible all year round.
How to get there
By public transport
from bus station Ulm with line 3 or 8 to bus stop Pranger.
Within walking distance there are 100 public free parking spaces for cars and three public free parking spaces for coaches and caravans.