Right next to the New Palace is Bayreuth's "green lung" - the Hofgarten. In the middle of the city centre you can stroll through oak and chestnut avenues, enjoy the view over wide lawns with their old groups of trees and enjoy nature.
The original courtyard garden
Already at the end of the 16th century, the court garden southeast of the city wall was owned by the market count. At that time it was used as a flower and vegetable garden.
Redesign of the courtyard garden
It was not until the construction of the New Palace in 1753 that the garden took on its present form. The Mailbahn-Allee, planted in 1679, was included in the redesign commissioned by the market counts Friedrich and Wilhelmine von Brandenburg-Bayreuth. To the south of the avenue, arcades, hedges, parterres and other avenues were created. The central axis was an L-shaped channel with four small islands. This is still today the central and most frequented place of the garden. The two avenues leading from the castle and the statues depicting figures from Greek mythology also date from this period.
The courtyard garden in English style
Since the baroque garden art style with its numerous hedges, parterres and beds became out of fashion at the end of the 18th century, Market Count Alexander wanted to have the Hofgarten redesigned in 1789 according to the now modern "angelic style". The aim was to create a landscape garden in a natural style with free plantings and curved paths. However, he did not succeed in completely redesigning the garden, and so the geometric features of the canal, three main avenues and islands still dominate the garden today.
In 1790 the court garden, which had previously only been open to the court of the market count and high-ranking guests, was opened to the public. In honour of the Prussian Queen Luise, an eight-column round temple was erected in the south of the park at the end of the 18th century. Some of the baroque forms that disappeared over time, such as the ground floor in front of the New Palace, were later reconstructed.
How to get there
Bayreuth can be reached via the A9 Munich-Berlin and the A70 Bayreuth-Schweinfurt as well as the B2, B22 and B85 federal roads. The New Palace and the Court Garden are located in the city centre. Near the Hofgarten there is a parking lot with costs (P6 Stadthalle)
By public transport
From Bayreuth central station: Bus 314, stop "Sternplatz