The New Palace Stuttgart is Germany's last baroque royal residence. Many different architectural styles have shaped the palace, from Baroque and Classicism to Rokoko and Empire. Today, the palace houses ministries and representative rooms. It can only be visited in the course of special tours.
The palace square in front of New Palace is very popular and highly frequented. Events and concerts are held here against the beautiful backdrop on a regular basis. The area used to be part of the ducal pleasure garden, from 1746 on it was used as parade ground. In the mid-19th century it was turned into a baroque garden open for the public.
The palace was built by the duke Carl Eugen of Württemberg (1744- 1793). He aimed to turn Stuttgart into a second Versailles, so he built a total of four castles there. The New Palace took a long time to be built (from 1746 – 1807), partly because of a fire and partly because of the Duke himself. Upon construction start he relocated his residence to Ludwigsburg. The castle was destroyed during World War II. In the 50s and 60s at least the face of the building was renewed. Nowadays, the castle is being used for ministries and representive rooms.
How to get there
The New Castle is located in the city centre, only a few minutes from the main railway station.