Former fire and watchtower
The 68 metre high city tower once served as a fire and watchtower and is now the landmark of the city of Straubing.
On the top floor of the tower, in the Türmerwohnung lived Straubings "highest official", the Türmer. He had to look out for fires and report when more than three hikers approached. When he saw ships on the Danube, he had to hoist the red flag, a sign to collect the duty due. After each hour of the clock, he had to show with a hammer blow on the bell that he is still at his post. The last towerman did not leave the tower until 1930.
The New Year's bubble
Since its renovation in 1986, the Straubingers have revived the tradition of blowing on New Year's Eve. The Straubinger Turmbläser plays on New Year's Eve from the Stadtturm, as it has been the custom for hundreds of years.
The city tower can only be visited on guided tours.
The foundation stone was laid as early as 1316, and the tower was continuously extended into the 16th century, creating a tower apartment and the characteristic corner towers. Until the 15th century the tower was free, the annexes were then added to stabilize the building and create space for administration. Its location, independent of the city fortifications, is quite atypical, mainly due to the fact that the Danube should be monitored from the tower. It also served as a fire tower, the central and high location being very advantageous. In the town tower there is a bell which served as a fire bell and was cast in 1406. Today it is one of the oldest bells in Germany.
How to get there
The town tower is located in the middle of the town square, in the middle of the old town of Straubing. It divides the 600 meter long street market into Ludwigsplatz and Theresienplatz.