Linderhof Palace is located west of Oberammergau in Upper Bavaria, and developed out of King Max II's forester hut. Today, the palace can only be visited with a guided tour. It takes about 25 minutes and leads from the vestibule through the magnificent interior of Linderhof. Points of interest are certainly the pompous Hall of Mirrors and the blue bedroom of King Ludwig II.
The park is also very impressive. It is considered to be a prime example of the garden art of historicism, thanks to the Baroque parterres, the Renaissance terraces and the historic gardens found in Marly le Roi in France and La Granja in Spain. The old hunting lodge ("Königshäuschen"), which was demolished in 1874 after it was no longer necessary due to numerous extensions is also located here.
The northern part of the park it is also worth taking a tour in, as it features the Moorish Kiosk and the Venus Grotto. The artificial stalactite cave resembles the Hörselberg from the first act of Wagner's opera Tannhäuser and is one of the numerous examples of Ludwig's admiration of the composer.
Linderhof Palace was built from the former forester's house of King Maximilian II. It was already frequently used by his son Ludwig II when he was crown prince and during hunting trips. From 1869 on, he had it rebuilt over the course of many years into the Royal Lodge it is today. It is the only one of his palaces that Ludwig II saw completed.
How to get there
Take motorway A95 and then the B2 to Oberau. Follow the signs to the B23/Ettaler Straße to Ettal and turn left onto state road ST2060. 10 kilometres later, you will reach the castle on the right hand side. Parking is available there.
Take the train to Oberammergau and then the bus 9622 to Linderhof.